Sunday, October 25, 2015

Part two of my journey with crohns.


So I think what made me most nervous about this surgery was that I had been through it all before. Not the same kind. This was a bowel resection, where as in 2005 I had a major kidney operation and ended up in ICU and all. That is fine and good now, but it brought back all those memories and the experience and road to recovery there after.

So for the days leading up to the surgery I was spending alot of my time praying and reading, because I knew I wouldnt have the energy straight after the surgery for a good week or so. I prayed and got my mind and heart ready for it all. It was something I didnt want to go through again, but in a way knew I had to, and knew of no other option. It had already gone too far and parts of my bowel needed to be removed.

After the surgery, its the strangest feeling. You slowly wake up, like on the movies, and gain conciousness and try to see whats happening around you and whos there. Mum and Dad and Amy and Nathan were there. They helped by feeding me ice chips every now and then. Thats all I could tolerate. Apparently I was all swollen, which is normal. All I could do was lay there. I could say a few words. A lady across from me who was another patient who asked the nurse who brought me in, why I was in hospital. The nurse stated she couldnt say, and she could wait to see if I wanted to tell her. I gave her a wave to let her know I will tell her soon. Its strange seeing young people in hospital, especially for major surgery. I was a bit new and exciting, one of the drs told me, as they are normally working on cases for old people. Hospitals are more like acute aged care homes. I was the only young one in my room. I made friends with the oldies.

The first couple of days you sleep, and you are dosed up on pain relief like morphine and codine. This then can contribte to feeling sick and wanting to vomit. One day I took it too far and was sitting out of bed and was vomiting. Which can I say is awful after you have had major surgery on your gut. It CAINS!! All you can think about is your gut splitting open and all your intestines coming out! So I was in tears, vomiting and feeling sorry for myself. I didnt eat for about a week or so after, as you have to wait for your gut to have movement again. The drs do their rounds about 8 in the morning and they came by and listened to my gut. When they heard gurgling, I was good to start eating. That didnt happen for about a week. I was getting hungry!

I didnt shower for about two days, I didnt get out of bed for two days. The nurses are amazing and washed me in bed and I had a catheter in so I didnt have to get up and wee. Then on the third day I was up. I went for a shower, its a strange thing having a stranger help you shower. But I just tried to block it out and think that this, as a nusre, is what they do all the time. I had nothing that was any different to anyone else, they had already exposed me and operated on me and seen it all (very respectively might I say - I hope), whats a shower!

The days go by fast when your in hospital and your not well. Having a shower can take it out of you big time. Thats the major activity for the day. I would then go back to bed and need to rest for a good while. Mum and Dad and Amy visited everyday, which were the highlights of my day. I also had some friends visit which I so appreciated. I didnt tell me many people about what was going on. I was processing it for myself first, then would get around to it. Mum was telling all the family and I slowly told friends.

I had chantelle, one of my friends visit one day and she plucked my eye brows which was the biggest treat, as I could not do this myself as I had fluids going into my cubital fossa (the inside elbow bit), and you cant bend your arm when you have IV therapy going in. So that was a treat. My own personal beautician! haha. So the days went on. Drs came by to see how I was going. I would have good days and bad days. I slept alot, and had alot of pain relief that slowly got weaned down. I had physio and breathing activities to keep me up and moving. And I remember one night after my catheter was removed I urinated an incredible amount of wee. I obviously came out of theatre all swollen from a fluid build up and I felt so fat. I had to ask mum to get me some 'fat' pants, as nothing fit me. Then after all the fluid came out, I hadnt been eating for the past two weeks either and I had lost 10 kg, so then I had to get mum to get me some 'skinny' pants, as nothing fit. I felt so thin and frail.

Days went by. My parents and Amy kept me company, and my oldie friends in the same room as me of course. I remember falling asleep on mum and dad at times, as I was so tired I just could not keep my eyes open. That was a strange feeling. It felt like pure bliss to close my eyes and sleep. Amazing what the body knows it needs and when. As I was slowly getting better and when I had been told I could start on clear fluids (jelly, broth, juices etc) I had a God-send of a lady come and see me.

This lady who was a nurse from another ward came and visited me. She was in her uniform, so obviously was on shift and she had been told by someone else on my ward to come and visit me and share her story with me. I cant even remember her name. She came and sat down at my bed and introduced herself. She then went into to share about how her daughter had been through the same thing. She was my age and had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of crohns also. She had to have a bowel resection and afterwards struggled deeply with what she had been through and was on all the medication and got depressed with it all, ate and drank terribly and took up smoking. Four years later she had to have surgery again and got a colostomy bag. She then realised she needed to change her ways or she would be in and out of hospital all her life. She started to re educate hersellf about diet and lifestyle and is now one of the healthiest and most active people she knows. Yes, she has a bag but it doesnt stop her living a healthy life. This woman encouraged me to look into my diet and lifestyle and to change it radically so that I could also live a healthy life. She said that she knows of some people with crohns and other health struggles who have made major changes with their diet, lifestyle and are drug free and they are healthier than your average person. She said look into all that is taught today in society and seek out the truth with food and drugs.

She said if I dont do anything, I will be back in here and most likely be getting a bag. That was enough to deter anyone!! This woman was an absolute God-send. I was so incredibly encouraged by her visiting me. I told Mum and Dad straight away when they came in and asked if mum would be able to make me some food to have in hospital as we all know the hospital food is awful, and very unhealthy. Mum made me soups that were delicious that got me started.

You come to appreciate so much when your in hospital for an extended period of time. I was amazed at how well I was doing compared to those around me (my age obviously a big contributer). I made good friends with the ladies in my room. We would rate the nurses on how lovely the girls were and how good looking the guys were. The drs too of course, there was one dr the ladies would tease me about saying he liked me coz he would hang out and chat with me and he was the one to canulate me coz everyone else struggled to! What a way to pick up! The oldies loved it! haha. I appreciated the little outside porch I could walk to and sit in the sun outside. BIG TREAT. I loved standing and showering myself, walking well, changing myself, eating. So many things. I loved it when my sister would come for a bit and we would watch comedy shows together she brought in. I couldnt read much, took too much concentrating. I tired too quickly. By the last two days I felt amazing. I was out in the courtyard walking and hanging out and chatting to and helping the oldies in my room myself and getting to know all the staff. But by the last two days I was super keen to get out. I was soon given the all clear to go home!

Just before I left I had a hospital dietician come and talk to me. I had to ask continually for her to come and see me. Then I was dumbfounded at what this woman told me. She said to eat lots of white carbohydrates and keep the fruits and vegies to a minimum. It was very basic and so wrong. I knew what she was telling me was wrong in the conversation and Im not even educated in dietetics. But your average jo blo knows that white carbs arnt good for you. I tried to engage in conversation with her and ask her questions, as I had so many, and get some claification, but she had no time for me. So I left it and left the hospital. Figured I would go else where.

Was strange making my way home. Mum and dad picked me up. Dad brought the car right up to the hospital as close as he could get it so I didnt have to walk far. And we drove home. I had no IV pole with me! That was a treat for sure, even though I had named him george and it had been with me the whole time, I loved to get rid of it. At home mum and dad had set up a room for me (as I had just moved back from sydney I had no where), and they looked after me. One thing that is weird when I got home and went to bed was that my bed was flat and I had to get used to that. In the hospital the beds can move and be slightly upright with your legs up a bit to alleviate the pain on the stomach. So I had to get used to that quick. With some pillow manoevering all was good.

I was home and could get on with recovering. More to come...
Thanks for reading

Emma :)

No comments:

Post a Comment